Friday, March 27, 2009

French Engravings- Chapter One - Before the begining

It's been a while! And not because i didn't have things to write in fact lots has been happening. Happy things of course. Everytime I do something. Go somewhere, experience a new thing, I want to write about it. Maybe just because I want to freeze the moment. Moments rather. Or maybe just like all the pictures I keep taking all the time, I want to write about it. Besides haven't been able to capture thoughts in the pictures. I can just ramble, can't I?

Was thinking maybe I'll title the post French Impressions. But then it would have to be a super long post. Maybe I'll put it into parts. But French Impressions sounds too common. So settled on French Engravings. It has to be something deep doesn't it? Impressions are made on a surface, to engrave you need to change the surface.

Before coming to France, what did I think of the French? I hadn't met that many French people. And even those that I had met hadn't really interacted deeply with them. With the exception of David. And even he not really enough to form an impression of all French people. Oh yes I heard a lot. and like everyone forms their stereotypes I'd heard about the romance, the smooth talkers, the high fashion. I'd begun looking at non- Goans in Goa in a differnt light. Imagining that is how I would be in a different land. Would they call us 'Bloody Indians'?

And then they are a cold race. And my eternal worry of being a misfit. Of course that couldn't be helped- brown skinned, Indian, with very faulty language skills. Now think as much I can't really remember what my pre-France, French imaginings were. Of course the Eiffel tower. But then I knew I wouldn't be near Paris. The mountains- and all that loomed in my head were the far off mountains I saw in Kathmandu and Pokharan. The snow covered, sun bathed mountains.

People... about people... well I didn't really form an opinion. Luckily I had been in conversation with my landlady (to- be then) quite a bit through e-mail. She seemed extremely nice and I doubted even then that I would have problems with her. I was afraid of the teachers though. The ones with whom I would have to work. Mainly for the reason that I had absolutely no idea what was required of me. But I guess I was most apprehensive of the students. I had been a teacher for 2 and 1/2 years by then and I knew standing in front of a class of students was no easy feat. At least not for me! And French students! What should I expect?

And then I landed here. Well, yes impressions were begining to be formed right from Paris. At Gare de Lyon actually.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

remember..where ever u go..which ever place..never loose ur respect.no matter what race or nationality u come from..and try to gain the respect of others.